Sunday, December 23, 2012

New Tools for the New Year

The blog is gaining a cousin as the Scituate Light now has a Facebook page.  With several big projects ahead and the need to get the word out to as wide an audience as possible, I set up a page several days ago.  If you are a Facebook user check it out at: https://www.facebook.com/scituate.lighthouse.


One of the projects is a book that Carol Miles, Mat Browne and I have been working on since the summer. Legendary Locals of Scituate will offer a sampling of the talent and dedication this small town has offered to the United States over the 375 years since its founding.

The other project is the brainchild of a neighbor, Richard Wainwright.  Mr. Wainwright has written a children's book with elements of fantasy and history, all set here on Cedar Point.  Haley is the title character, The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter. Linda Martin, Mr. Wainwright, Julie, and I all contributed photographs.  There is remarkable artwork and a compelling story as Haley manages to go on a quest without leaving the Point.  More information will be shared in the coming weeks.

I am off to the Tower to reset the cameras.  I had moved one for Flying Santas visit and I need to get it back on spot for the next show.  I remain hopeful that in 2013 we will have a camera that a guest could control from home.  Yesterday, I logged onto to the cameras and listened in to the wind.  I heard this drumming that got my attention until I checked from the window in front of this desk and saw that the drumming was the flag rapping against the copper top of the Tower.  I had had the flag at half staff all week in memory of the children and teachers lost in Connecticut.  With their funerals complete, I returned the flag to full height this morning.

I have been moving a fair amount of stone this week as the beach is lobbing up pebbles, skippers, boulders, and bricks to be shoveled off the walk and back to the beach.  The Town has been steady in getting the rubble off the road but my gardens are full of sand and rock that I will have to pull out in the spring.  Its all part of the deal, though I am concerned we could get back to a spot where there is just too much for me to move.  The big restraining stones at the top of the Tower still have not been reset and there is an open door for the beach to be washed over onto the walk.  The ideal would be to see it fixed before the work gets complicated by another ton or two of granite and beach rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on any of the posts

New Spot for the Blog from Now On

 This site has been a good friend for the past 12 plus years but it has its limitations.  To address those limitations I have set up a new w...